- Series hybrid propulsion system
- Fully-electrified accessories
- Engine Stop/Start technology
- No infrastructure modifications
- Nearly 2,000 systems worldwide today
- Achieving up to 15% engine-off time
- Providing excellent fuel economy results
Our successful hybrid electric drive system is a series configuration, designed specifically for fuel savings and its pathway to electrification. BAE Systems provides propulsion for 35’-40’ buses, articulated, and double deck buses.
The series design is optimized for city bus duty cycles that typically have low average speeds and frequent stops. In this type of environment, series design provides better bus fuel economy and emission reductions than a parallel solution. Series-E enables the electrification of bus accessories and can be configured with Stop/Start, engine-off technology.
Propulsion systems are available based on vehicle weight
- HDS100 system powers European 12m and double deck buses.
- HDS200 system powers 18m, E500 (triple axel double decks, and 35’-40’ North American vehicles.
- HDS300 system powers North American, 60’ articulated buses. The HDS300 system is rugged, exceeding APTA’s (American Public Transportation Association) guidelines for sustainability. The system is capable of powering vehicles up to 63,000 pounds with superior acceleration, making it easy to climb steep hills, and sustain a top speed of 65mph.
Electric accessories powered
All of our transit products—Series-E, Series-ER, Series-EV, and Series-H—are able to electrically power bus accessories using our Accessory Power Systems (APS). We offer three Accessory Power Systems depending on your needs. Our systems are contained in one small package and supply electric power to accessories such as air conditioners, cooling fans, and air compressor pumps. These units function as an electronic alternator, completely replacing the conventional belt-driven alternator.
Our series hybrid system
- No mechanical link between the diesel engine and the axle
- All power comes from the electric motor
- Power flows in series from engine to generator to traction motor
- Adaptable to all electric
- 35' - 40' North American buses; 12 - 18m European buses
- 60' articulated buses
- Double deck buses